Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The beginning of the school year!

My last post was about the end of the year, but now it's the beginning of a new year!

This week is all about Freshman! Everyday this week and next we will be out on campus talking to students about BEST club, inviting them to events, and having new activities. Of course, I don't do a whole lot of talking, because, well, I'm not very good a formal introductions and explanations. Let's just say, I'm a man of few words in Japanese. Smiles are my main language, and I am quite fluent

BEST club actually has a very different approach to recruiting than most clubs. Most clubs print out a zillion flyers, and strategically stand around trying to pass them out to to anyone and everyone (even me! maybe they think I'm an international student) freshman or not. In BEST, we actually walk around campus and approach people to talk to them and tell them about what BEST is, and why it is so different from other clubs. It's very personal, and very effective. In fact, most BEST club members can tell you where they were personally recruited on campus, and typically reminisce about it when we go out.

"Hey Brian, remember I was sitting on that same bench when you came over to me when I was a freshman."

or

"We first met at the second cafeteria, why don't we try going there?"

Today was the first Bible discussion of the semester. An amazing 12 people came! That's a lot! There is always a meal before the discussion made by one or a group of the students. Today it was ramen and fried rice made by my new roommate. He used to work at a Chinese ramen shop, so he is a pro! It is really exciting to have such a solid group of friends that are excited about reading the Bible. Their passion has already had a big influence on BEST, and I hope they are able to share with the new class of incoming freshman as well.

I'm really looking forward to this next year, to continue existing relationships even deeper and to make many new ones.

No comments: